Clogs are one of the most common homeowner problems. They are not only an annoyance, but can also lead to overflows and water damage. Keep your drains clog-free by implementing these easy preventative practices.
- Never flush sanitary napkins, baby wipes, or very thick toilet paper down the toilet. These can expand or get caught on corroding pipes and cause clogs. Instead, dispose of them in bio-degradable bags, such as the ones produced by Golden Group International.
- This not only prevents clogs but also is an eco-friendly way to dispose of soiled sanitary products.
- Do not use liquid cleaning supplies meant to clear clogs. These cleaners can damage pipes. Rather, try using a plumbing snake or plunger.
- Utilize strainers to catch hair in showers and tubs.
- Never put fat, grease, or cooking oils down the drain. These fats solidify in cold pipes and cause clogs. To dispose, put it in a Tupperware and leave it on your counter until it solidifies. Then dispose of it in a compost bin for garbage collection.